Well, here it goes, the first post in a
haphazard blog about life in medical school. I can't guarantee that
it will be interesting or funny, the only thing I can promise is that
it will be the truth, from my heart. I guess I should start by
talking about beginnings. (It's really my only chance to do so, you
can't talk about beginnings in the second post and be taken
seriously.) Now's the time to talk about the start of med school, how
I got here, and what I might do with my life. Actually, I might save
the 'future' stuff for later, because I have no idea what to do with
my life. That'll come later, they tell me.
So I've been living in my apartment for
about two months and after the initial shock of being co-responsible
for everything here (endless internet hassles, cockroaches, mice, no
more meal plan) I have settled in and things are going surprisingly
well. After spending four years in the semi-city that Nashville is,
I'm glad that I finally have a chance to live in a large downtown
urban area. Disclaimer: I love Nashville, but it's not what people
think of as a metropolis and it doesn't have the history that Philly does. Furthermore, it's great to be in the
northeast... despite all the earthquakes and hurricanes that greeted
me during my first month here.
But enough of that, we're here to talk
about med school ('med school' is synonymous with 'life', by the
way). Every day I am in awe of the amazing things that occur at Penn.
Whether it's the research, patient population, our curriculum,
or various educational programs and extremely brilliant mentors
available here, I can already tell that this is a place that will
provide the tools for me to become whoever I want.
One example of the caliber of mentors
at Penn: I just got home about 30 minutes ago from a talk by Dr.
Richard Shannon, the Chair of Medicine at HUP (Hospital of the
University of Pennsylvania) at an internal medicine interest group meeting (I was lured there by free Indian food). He told us about his past, all of the
great successes and significant failures that got him to where he is
now. (Originally in this post I had written out all of the things he
told us, but a lot of it was personal, and I should probably not
betray his trust here on the internet. Suffice it to say that he has experienced successes and failures of equal magnitude, yet his drive and determination have caused more success than failure.) The important point is that
one must have experience and wisdom to be successful, but one only
gains meaningful wisdom from failure. Dr. Shannon's drive and
conviction were palpable throughout the talk, and listening to him
made me realize how much a typical person could be limited by
self-assigned limits of willpower. Hopefully I'll remember Dr. Shannon next
time I don't feel like waking up for class, or putting in the extra
time to learn something new...
Now, I don't necessarily aspire to be a
Chair of Medicine at a top ranked teaching hospital, but his words
will inspire me to achieve excellence in any path I end up taking. I paraphrase his message, 'the key to success is committing yourself
wholeheartedly to every detail in order to improve your work in every
way,' which reminds me over and over how important the details are. It's hard to find the drive to commit yourself to those
minutiae, but I suspect it is easiest when you do something that you love. I will eventually find
my true calling, but right now I vow to commit myself to a lifetime
of learning and growing, as well as maintaining excellent physical
and mental health, and most of all to approach every day with a
positive outlook and energy.
Well, that's enough for one day, I
think. I'll be back next week.
Mark
P.S. The writing will get better, I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment